Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Monday (Fitness)Massacre - Trainers Behaving Badly Vol. 6 (12/2/13)



Monday (Fitness)Massacre - Trainers Behaving Badly Vol. 6

Spending as many hours in the gym as I do on a daily basis, I'm afforded no shortage in sights of things that just make you shake your head. Unfortunately, quite often these sights ...are complete with a fitness 'professional' standing right there supervising the whole ordeal. I've decided the instead of standing silent and shaking my head, it would be better to call attention to said sights in order to educate my peeps.

This Week's Winner: Having your orthopedically healthy client - though substantially overweight and weak- stand on a BOSU repeatedly waving a BODYBLADE (it's such a popular item at Wal-Mart that the page won't load as I type this if that gives you any indication how 'useful' one of these might be).



There were 2 great articles that ironically tackled the issue of unstable surface training this week which have summed up my own thoughts perhaps better than I could, so I'll just let Tony Gentilecore and DH Kiefer take it away (links at the end).

Look, there is a time and a place for unstable surface training in an exercise program. Namely in a rehabilitative setting when you're working with athletes or clients coming off an injury and trying to reestablish proper motor patterns, work on muscle activation, or otherwise reintroduce (and progress) them to external loading.

But as my boy Tony Gentilecore of Cressey Performance says, it's "WOEFULLY overrated, overused, and quite frankly a waste of time for most healthy individuals who walk into a weight room to get better."

Tony goes on to say "Instead of people actually doing something of relevance – like actually being able to do a push-up correctly, or being able to perform a hip hinge or lunge pattern without making my eyes bleed – we have a bunch of people doing things like 1-legged curls on BOSU balls, and trainers – in an effort to look unique and different – wasting people’s time (not to mention money).."

Like I said, couldn't have said it any better myself.

One last quote from DH:

"Listen to your body; it’s smarter than your trainer."

http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/unstable-surface-training-fit/

http://athlete.io/1771/unstable-surfaces-for-stability-training-aka-clown-school/



No comments:

Post a Comment